Badges were rewards for accomplishing certain tasks in City of Heroes. They tracked the accomplishments of the character through the game, and some of them did additional things.
Badges did a number of different things.
- One badge at a time could be "worn" by the character. This placed the badge title right below the player's name for everyone else to see.
- Some badges gave extra things to the character. Most of these badges were called Accolades, and there are different lists for each alignment.
- Some badges related to the Invention System granted additional storage of salvage and recipes
- Some badges related to selling on the Auction House also increaseed your transaction slots
- Some badges unlocked contacts, stores, or access to special areas of the game world.
- Gladiator badges unlocked gladiators. A bit like collecting Pokémon, gladiators could be used in duels against other players' gladiators in the Arena.
- And finally, badges were a sub-game in and of themselves. They appealed to the completist through the "Gotta get 'em all" mentality, the same sort of mentality of people who collect stamps or baseball cards.
The vast majority of badges were character-specific. Character-level badges were earned separately for each character and tracked separately what individual characters had accomplished.
There were two additional types of badges: Account-level badges and Supergroup badges.
- Account-level Badges were badges that were flagged on a player's account, and were then automatically awarded to any character on the account as they were logged onto. A list of account-level badges can be found here.
- Supergroup-level Badges were earned by the Supergroup, not the individual members of the group. Thus they belonged to the group itself and not to any individual member of the group. If a member left the Supergroup, they did not take any Supergroup badges with them, even if they were the one responsible for earning the badges. If they then joined another Supergroup, they would then see the badges of the new Supergroup in their lists.
There were many types of Badges available:
Earned by visiting certain important locations through the game.
Earned by studying the game's lore.
Earned by completing tasks assigned by special contacts.
Earned by reaching certain milestones in your career.
Earned by completing truly special accomplishments.
Earned by accomplishing specific tasks that unlock creatures to assist you in the arena.
Earned by subscribing to the game for certain periods of time.
Earned by completing activities related to PvP.
Earned by completing activities related to the Invention System.
Earned by defeating certain critters in the game.
Earned by participating in special events.
Earned by completing Flashback content.
Earned by selling items at the Auction House.
Earned by logging out in specific locations.
Earned by completing activities related to Mission Architect.
- See also: Supergroup Badges
Supergroup Badges provided a variety of uses: Exploration Badges that allowed Teleport pad zone beacons, and Achievement, PVP, and Defeats Badges that unlocked base items.
There were four types of Badges available:
- Exploration Badges - Earned by visiting certain important locations throughout the game zones while in Supergroup mode.
- Achievement Badges - Earned by reaching certain milestones as a Supergroup.
- PVP Badges - Earned by defeating players as a Supergroup.
- Defeats Badges - Earned by defeating NPCs as a Supergroup.